Skin whitening or skin bleaching is the practice of lightening ones skin colour, or for pigmentation problems. The skin whitening treatment can also help to fade out scars and get rid of dark patches on the skin (in some cases birth marks). A persons skin colour depends on the amount of melanin they have in their system, this is a type of pigment that is created within the melanocyte cells. Natural exposure to the sun can cause the melanocyte cells to increase and produce more melanin. A lot of exposure to the sun can also be a bad thing and can show up in the form of brownish freckles to appear on the face and body, this is why a lot of people use creams to lighten their skin tones.
Other reasons people may use the skin lightening treatments are bcuase they had acne and still have the scars left behind, after an injury of some sort that leaves the skin dis-colored. A main reason why women look into this treatment is due to pregnancy which leads to a type of hyperpigmentation called melasma, where brown patches appear on the face.
How do I get rid of this?
Well one option is to seek help by your doctor and get proper medical advise but this can take a while and can be very embarrassing to deal with let alone ask your family doctor. A lot of people do use the Internet to look up skin care websites and buy creams online, this saves the hassle of asking doctors and getting prescriptions. Some people just do not have the money to fork out online and buy these creams so some actually turn to creating their own remedies, some of these are old wives tales but there are a good few that do actually work, some work better for others so you may have to give a few of them a test and see which one works better for you.
Try these home remedies!
Here are some remedies you can try at home, these don’t cost much and most people will already have the stuff required lying around their own houses.
- Mix one tablespoon of milk powder, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of lemon, half tablespoon of almond oil – Apply to the face every morning and at night time before bed, leave it on for 15-20minutes then wash off gently. This helps shine the skin and can also help remove a tan.
- Mix oatmeal with curd and some tomato juice – apply to the skin and leave on for 15-20minutes, this recipe also helps to remove a suntan.
- Place sliced up raw potato on the face, this helps remove blemishes and scars. – 30 minutes.
- Mix tumeric powder with lime juice – lime is a natural bleach and can help lighten the skin – 10-15minutes.
- Mix dired orange peels with curd – removed blemishes and scars, wash the mixture off within 20minutes.
- Soak 4 almonds overnight and grind down into a fine paste with the help of milk – apply to the face, wash with cold water in the morning, do this for 15 days.
- Apply egg whites to your face and other areas twice a week to get fairer skin – this brings a whole new meaning to “egg on your face”!
- Spray rose water onto your skin twice a day or whenever you can to get the skin tones lighter.
So these are just a few examples of home remedies to get your skin tones lighter, remember there is always the other option of searching the web for skin care products.
All these home remedies do is make a slight change to the tone of your skin, if you really want a noticeable change, you need to use a full strength chemical based cream. You will want to avoid chemicals such as hydroquinone, mercury, and any product which suggests that you can whiten your skin by swallowing a pill.
The products that you will want to look for are those that contain arbutin, glycolic acid, and other safe, effective, well known and widely used FDA approved chemicals. It’s also important to get the right advice from the manufacturers or support team so as to apply the cream in the right way. You can find the right information you need in the links in this post, or try searching for a skin whitening product that contains those active ingredients, and be sure that you’re choosing a cream based on quality first.
Thanks soo much for the information, will be great to try out this weekend! I am just back from spain and look a little…. off haha